Each year, MVSC aims to improve all of the soccer offerings we provide to our diverse community of young soccer players. The primary objective of Development Program Leagues ("DPL") is to provide a fun, engaging, developmental soccer experience to a group of young soccer players who qualify for and express interest in our Developmental Model. Our program is intended to inspire a love for the game, and to help our players pick up skills and habits that will enable them to have greater success and enjoyment playing the game for years to come.
Key elements of our Developmental Program League ("DPL") Model:
1. Coaching and Curriculum: Professionally coached weekday training sessions (2 per week), incorporating an age- and ability-appropriate curriculum. Key focuses in training will be technical mastery, individual and small-group tactical awareness, movement education, and lots of small-sided games. Our curriculum will include an element of free play. However, given our curriculum's strong emphasis on technical mastery, this program is not a good fit for the young player who wants to spend most of his or her practice time scrimmaging or playing in games.
2. Volume: Long-term player development requires commitment and repetition. Our DPL program offers two sessions per week of professionally coached soccer training, in addition to the weekend games where players can apply the skills and insight they pick up at practices.
3. Developmentally appropriate Games: Small-sided games played on weekends, with all teams playing games in Mill Valley.
4. Abiility-appropriate practice and game environment: Age- and ability-appropriate teams for practices and weekend games.
Each DPL will consist of teams. We may utilize one- to two-year age bands to form individual DPLs, with a focus on grouping players based on ability (i.e., athleticism, size, skill and emotional maturity), rather than grouping purely by age. There will be separate DPLs for girls and boys. Each DPL will be made up of individual teams that will train twice per week. A Staff of MVSC Professional Coaches will run all training sessions.
By way of example, we may have one U8/9 Boys League, one U9/10 Boys League, one U10/11, and one U11/12 Boys League, with players assigned to each League based upon their most ability-appropriate fits.
Weekday Training Program:
Our two weekday trainings will emphasize technical mastery, movement education (coordination, agility, running mechanics, footwork, etc.), and tactical decision-making. There will be a strong emphasis on individual player development. For all 5 v 5 DPLs, roster size will be 7 or 8 players, and two teams will practice together at the same time with one professional trainer. For 6 v 6 DPLs, roster size will be approximately 9 players, and two teams will practice together with one professional trainer. For 7 v 7 DPLs, roster size will be approximately 10 players, and two teams will practice together with two professional trainers. For 9 v 9 DPLs, roster size will be approximately 12-13 players, and each team will practice with one professional trainer.
We will have set teams for all weekend games. Each team will play against other teams in their DPL.
Volunteer Parent Coaches will run games on the weekends, with a Professional Coach overseeing and facilitating the game days, to ensure that the games are played in the proper format, and to assist the volunteer coaches and players in applying concepts covered in training to the game arena. A group of pre-identified Parent Volunteer Coaches will be identified at the time of registration. Parent Coaches will be asked to attend at least one of the two weekly practices.
MLS Boys, NWSL 1 Girls & NWSL 2 Girls: 5 v 5 games (4 field players + goalkeeper)
SERIE A BOYS: 6 v 6 games (5 field players + goalkeeper)
EPL Boys: 7 v 7 games (6 field players + goalkeeper)
LA LIGA BOYS AND NWSL 3 Girls: 9 v 9 games (8 field players + goalkeeper)
•Any age-appropriate player can tryout, but participation in a Development Program League will be by invitation only.
•Players must be born from 2008-2013.
Only players who attend an assessment/tryout and demonstrate appropriate attitude and ability to contribute to and benefit from our program will receive an invitation to join a DPL. Of key importance is the player's coachability: i.e., his or her demonstrated ability to focus, to listen, to follow Coaching instruction, and to apply 100% effort toward all exercises and activities. MVSC’s Professional Coaching Staff will conduct our player assessments, and our Coaching Staff will be solely responsible for extending invitations to qualified players.
DPL Teams will be formed based on tryout assessments from our Professional Coaching Staff.
Please note that DPLs will be formed only when there is a sufficient pool of qualified, interested, ability-appropriate players present at our U8-12 Tryouts. Players who do not receive invitations to join our DPLs will be provided an opportunity to register for MVSC’s fall recreational soccer program.
Team training will begin the last week of August (two trainings per week). Teams will have 1 game per weekend, with the season finishing by early November. DPL teams will practice in Mill Valley and/or in Corte Madera.
- Mill Valley residents: $560 (includes $290 registration fee + $270 professional trainer fee)
- Non-residents: $590 (includes $320 registration fee + $270 professional trainer fee)
- All families are charged a $50 Volunteer Fee per household, refundable upon completion of volunteer duties.
The fee will cover a 10-week season, with two professionally coached training sessions per week, plus approximately 8 weekend games, plus a season ending, 1-Day Jamboree. Cost does not include the price of uniforms, shin guards or cleats, which must be purchased separately.
In presenting this offering, MVSC’s primary goal is to provide a highly motivating, enhanced developmental playing experience for all of our interested and qualified participants. For more questions about any of these opportunities, please contact Rick Fullerton.