Volunteering to coach your child in soccer is one of the most rewarding experiences you will ever have.
Whether you've played soccer at the highest level, or not at all, MVSC honors the volunteer parents who make soccer possible for so many children in our community. When parents don't volunteer, teams cannot be formed and children may not be able to play. By planning ahead to volunteer, MVSC can do a better job organizing around the players that register on-time. If you are interested in being a coach or assistant coach, there are two things you can do:
- When you register your child for recreational soccer, you will have a chance to volunteer. Click the COACH or ASST COACH box for the child you are interested in coaching, and you will be contacted by an Age Group Coordinator (AGC) for your division of play.
- If you can't wait until April 1, feel free to email your AGC now. Just a quick note saying you plan to volunteer, the grade/gender of play for Fall 2019, and whether you plan to partner with another volunteer parent. We'll keep a list, but remember to volunteer when you register. You can find a complete list of AGCs on our Recreational Committee page.
MVSC supports our coaches with a host of coaching clinics, on-line practice plans, and professional coaching support during the season. All it takes is a little time, a little patience, and a love for the game and your kids. Plan now to get involved!
If you have Coaching-related questions or concerns at any time before or during the season, please feel free to contact Rick Fullerton, MVSC’s Director of Coaching and Player Development.
MVSC'S Mandatory Recreational Coach meeting is scheduled for Sunday, August 25, 2019 in the Edna Maguire Multi-Purpose Room.
2:30 - 3:30: Coaching FUNDamentals Micro-Classroom Session (This is strongly recommended for all new coaches. If you attend the Friday classroom session, or have attended a PCA Coaching Clinic in the past, you do not need to attend this hour).
3:30 - 4:30: Mandatory Coach Meeting, followed by equipment handout.We will go over important league rules and policies, as well as cover resources that can assist you and your players in experiencing a rewarding season. It is also the only day that soccer equipment (balls, training goals, bibs & cones) will be handed out. If no one from your team is represented at this meeting, please be aware that you will not have balls for the first week of practice. If you or your assistant coach cannot attend, please send another representative to pick up the gear.
MVSC Coaching Clinics
All MVSC Volunteer Coaches are encouraged to attend our Coaching Clinics.
Coaching FUNDAmentals Clinic: This clinic is run by Neil and Paul Castle. They bring a wealth of knowledge, enthusiasm, and an incredible sense of humor to this course. Thue FUNDAmentals course offers two field sessions (one for beginning coaches and one for experienced coaches), with a bonus clinic on Good Sporting Behavior. Schedule:
- Coaching FUNDamentals Classroom Session - Friday 8/23 @ 6:00pm - 9:00pm in MVCC-Mt. View Room
- Beginning Coach's Field Session - Saturday, 8/24 @ 9:00am - 1:00pm at Terra Marin Field
- Experienced Coach's Field Session - Sunday, 8/25 @ 9:00am - 12:00pm at Terra Marin Field